About our Foundress Blessed Mother Mariam Thressia
Blessed Mother Mariam Thresia, born on 26th April 1876 in Kerala, is the foundress of the Congregation of Holy Family. Her prophetic vision encompassed her passion for the Lord and compassion for his people. At a time, when women were suppressed by the dominating society, she broke the shackles of confinement and progressed in her mission of unconditional service.
Holy Family Congregation was founded in 1914 by the visionary zeal of Blessed Mother Mariam Thresia, a pioneer in the field of family apostolate, beatified on 9th April 2000. She has been the guiding star to her followers who have vowed to implement and accomplish her divine mission.
Her heroic venture of building up families paved the way for a stronger society. Her conviction, grit and determination enabled her to overlook oppositions and to forge ahead in building up ideal families. She built up the congregation with spiritual wealth of prayer, penance, piety and charity. On 8th June 1926, she left for her heavenly abode. Her sanctity was recognized by the church and Pope John Paul II declared her “Blessed” on 9th April 2000.
The sisters of the congregation of Holy Family enliven her vision and strive to accomplish their noble mission. The flame lit by this “Blessed Mother” continues to glow and shine with greater intensity. Students and staff who enter Holy Family Convent School share in our endeavor to scale new heights and to pass on this “flame” to the world all over.
We are committed to achieve and sustain exemplary standards, both in formal education and students’ discipline by providing education for all round development.
We envisage our pupils as worthy members of ideal families at the micro level and responsible contributing members of the global family at the macro level. Conscientious, confident, innovative and creative in spirit they will be the architects of future India.
Providing value based quality education that integrates body, mind and spirit in pursuit of excellence in the field of Arts, Science and Humanities.
The school aims at developing the character and personality of each pupil which is interlaced with personal, spiritual, intellectual, cultural and social standards. It also strives for academic excellence and inculcates humane values in pupils through value-oriented education. Solid intellectual formation and emotional integration is stressed for imbuing real excellence. Wide range of opportunities are provided by the school to enable every pupil to develop and enhance his potential to the maximum. It also aims at providing moral and spiritual orientation through character and conscience formation inculcating faith in God and brotherly love. Education rooted in the cultural heritage of our country is provided to the pupils to instill traditional values in them. This is an institution which unravels an atmosphere of fellowship and service to build up responsible citizens and ideal families.
Holy Family Convent Matriculation Hr. Sec. School is managed by the Sisters of the Congregation of Holy Family, adopting the policies and imbibing the vision of Blessed Mother Mariam Thressia, a pioneer in the field of family apostolate. The prime motto of Holy Family School is to provide value based quality education, in pursuit of holistic development of the children and to build ideal families in the society.
Following her footprints, a branch of this congregation was established at Keelkattalai, Chennai. At the onset, a group of four Sisters settled down at Keelkattalai to serve the poor, deprived and the depressed and to fortify the families so as to build up a strong society. Their selfless service witnessed a new destination with the establishment of an educational institution named Holy Family.
This tiny seed sown in 1990 with just 125 students and 5 staffs has grown to great heights with deep roots and strong branches. It indeed provides comfort and shelter to thousands of children in the society. The epitome of human values is imbibed in every child who pursues knowledge in this temple of wisdom.
Today, this reputed institution has all the necessary infrastructure that an ideal school can dream of : Spacious Classrooms, Library, Science Labs, Computer Labs, Multimedia Lab and Play ground. At present it has strength of nearly 3349 students. The biggest asset of Holy Family Convent Mat. Hr. Sec .School is its dedicated staff which is around 140 and motivated students. Its glorious past is present in its envious present, and the present is shaping its future.
In 1997 the 1st batch of std X students appeared for public exam and in 2000, the 1st batch of XII wrote public exam. Since the first appearance of our students in the public examinations, many of our students have grabbed State level III and IV ranks and at the District level too we have got II and III ranks. Our students have also entered the Engineering and Medical rank list and have got state level III and IV ranks.
MARY JESSICA SAJI of 2016 March batch grabbed District Third rank in Other Languages in XII Public Exam and JENCY JEBAMALAR P of the same batch grabbed State IV rank, District Third rank and also got the State III rank in Minority category in X Public Exam.
In the XII public exam of 2017 March, Joshua Jebaraj Samuel J became the school topper scoring 1192/ 1200.
- Holy Family Convent School became an ISO certified institution in 2006 and is certified as a Christian Minority Institution, by the Minority Rights Commission in 2008.
- In 2003, Rev. Sr. Maggie, the then Principal and in 2010, Rev. Sr. Seena Devassy, the present Principal received the best teacher award, instituted by the Education Dpt., Kancheepuram Dst. and Pvt Schools Association Award.
- In 2006, Holy Family School introduced a pioneering effort of Rain water harvesting. We have 3 Ferro cement water tanks, harvesting more than 1,50,000 lts of rain water, which caters to the drinking water needs of the whole school, round the year. We have also installed Solar Panels in 2015 to harvest Solar Energy to cater to the electricity needs of the whole school which makes our school a complete Eco – Friendly Campus.
- Organic Farming is started on the terrace of the school. Both teachers and students have equal participation in maintaining it. Mostly seasonal vegetables and fruits are grown which makes it more interesting for the students as they are exposed to farming methods atleast in a small way.
- Digital Teaching method through Smart classes was introduced in 2010 and teaching – learning is made more interesting and interactive. We have more than 25 class rooms equipped with smart boards.
- A novel communication system with parents was introduced in 2011, where all information including the progress of the student is communicated through SMS every day. GPS is also installed in all the schools vans for monitoring the movement of the vans and ensuring the safety of the students. As part of making the school more IT friendly online fees payment was enabled helping the parents to pay the fees online at the convenience of their homes.
- In 2013, 16 CCTV cameras are installed in key areas of the school.
Silver Jubilee Celebration
Holy Family Convent School completed 25 years of commendable service and celebrated the Silver Jubilee in 2014.
Holy Family students participate every year in the INSPIRE – Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research -Internship camp organized by the Dept. of Sci. & Tech, Govt. of India, for the students who scored 94% and above in X public exam.
Staff & Students Enrichment Programme
Holy Family School management provides the Staff and students, every year, with various training programmes to stay updated in the field of education.
Orientation to Parents
PTA Meetings are held at regular intervals to review the activities of students and to seek parents’ participation and feedback.
Holy Family Students appear for the National Talent Search exam every year.
Achievements in Co-Curricular Activities.
Many students of Holy Family participate in Zonal, District, Divisional and State level sports competitions and grab medals and prizes every year.
- Football – K Yashwanth of std VIII got selected to T N State football team.
- Hockey – P Kanishkaran of std X got selected to Tamilnadu Senior boys Hockey team
An active group of Scouts & Guides is functioning in Holy family school.
From 2003 till 2016 the school has 57 Rashtrapathi Scouts & Guides and 400 Rajya Puraskar Scouts & Guides.
Cubs & Bulbuls, Road Safety Patrol, Junior Red Cross etc are the other uniformed services, functioning in our school.
Outreach Programme, Charitable & Social Services
Holy Family school inculcates the virtues of charity, sharing and service to society in our students. The theme for the year 2016 – ’17 is chosen as “Compassion Beyond Boundaries”.
- The School Management provides financial help to needy students.
- To encourage the spirit of Compassion in students, the school organizes Outreach programme and students & teachers of all classes visit homes for the aged, orphanages and hospitals and offer financial and moral support.
Holy Family School organizes every year a special function, ‘Nesak karangal’ with the mission of family care, education, charity, and medicare.
During the year 2016-‘17, Rs Fifteen lakhs from the Silver Jubilee memorial fund was distributed to 30 dialysis and AIDS patients.
Family Apostolate & Counseling
Holy Family Management gives priority to serve the families and the society. Our Rev. Sisters and the teachers undertake visiting the homes of students on a regular basis. We have got a team of trained counselors, who render counseling service to the students and parents.